Friday, May 20, 2011

Cost / Savings of Commuting Calculator

I've created a spreadsheet to try and determine how much I save or how much it costs me to commute to/from work. I'm ignoring the "value" of the exercise itself for this exercise.

If I drove to/from work it would be a distance of 14.2 miles. If I rode my bike the whole way I would save 14.2 miles worth of fuel, vehicle wear/tear/maint and whatever else goes into that. Each day I ride in I look up the price of fuel and enter it into my spreadsheet. The way I have it now if I ride in the whole way and use today's fuel price ($3.799) I would save $5.187 each way for a total of $10.274. That's nice and all but how much do I spend to commute? I will buy a little rack for the back of my bike, I have increase wear/tear on the bike, etc. so that needs factored in as well.

Overall it is going to be a savings for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment